12 December 2008

Gingerbread dough

We have got a workshop for children aged between 7 and 10 tomorrow, so we thought it was a good idea to include gingerbread men, women, house and other things as part of the fun. I have tried many recipes but did not like the pastry when I tried to roll it out. I have watched Rachel Allen on UKtv Food making a gingerbread house and liked the way the pastry behaved. So I thought I would try that out. I shall give you the outcome on how it behaved when I post pictures of children making the gingerbread men.

Recipe is taken from Rachel Allen "Bake" http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/610040

Ingredients
300g Butter
125g caster sugar
125g soft brown sugar
225g treacle, or golden syrup
725g plain flour
2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon



PC120001

Melt the butter, caster sugar, brown sugar and treacle in a large saucepan

PC120004

Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon together

PC120005
Make a well in the middle of the flour and spice and add the melted butter and sugar mixture.

PC120006

Stir well until it comes together like sticky dough.

PC120007

Flatten the dough into a 2cm thick round, put in plastic bag and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

No comments: